Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why don't they change the Eurovision Song Contest voting rules?

Everybody's fed up of political votes, even the english speaker was taking a piss out of it (as usual). This is putting the reputation of the show really down. There was only one eastern european song that was good, the one from Bulgaria, and by no means Portugal would vote 12 for Ukraine, which means that the millions of Ukranians that live there just mass voted for their own country. The portuguese would never vote so much for something so gay (we are very conservative people). The show is loosing it's meaning. They should have a panel of judges from each country to vote, not the entire population of the country because it will turn out as political votes. It's not fair for the UK to be classified within the last positions when their song was far better that most of the eastern block countries', ok, having trolley dollies is not a great way to get votes, but the song was not that bad this year, compared to last year.

Why don't they change the Eurovision Song Contest voting rules?
I am Greek, so you realize I am not politically predisposed towards any country (I will not speak of Turkey and Cyprus in order to avoid being considered as biased).


I agree with you that the Bulgarian song was very good. I voted for it.


However, totally impartially, based on my taste only, (and keep in mind I love England because i studied there), I thought the English song was silly. I am surprised it didn't finish last with 0 points! Although I liked the Irish song that finished last.


Although the neighbouring countries "allies" influence the result a lot, I must point out that usually this only helps to a limited extent, because in order to win, a song must be voted by all the countries or almost. So yes, perhaps some countries get a few more points than they deserve, but the winning song gets votes from everyone, so it is not the political alliances that make it win.


When -many years ago, you may have been too young to remember- the vote was made by a small jury in every country, the vote was even more political. And even worse, because it was really political, and not just based on mutual sympathies between people. And sometimes the vote did not even express the people's taste, but the taste of some wannabe "experts". Last year, I voted for the winning song. Many people did, and it got a high grade from Greece. We have nothing in favour or against Finland, we don't have immigrants from Finland to influence the result,we just liked the song. I am not saying we are right or wrong, but we did. I can guarantee that no committee in Greece would have voted for that song (because of their appearance and because of what everyone said the following day). So it wouldn't be fairly representing the opinion of greeks, would it?


Anyway, I agree that all the Former USSR and Yugoslav republics, as well as the Scandinavian countries, create some teams, but it's part of the game! It has always been. (Germany always voted for Greece nd Turkey because of the immigrants, etc). It's part of the "tradition" too. So I think the system should remain the same. Although I heard there will be some change with the number of countries that go through the semi-final. I really don't understand why England, France, Spain, and some other doesn't have to pass the semifinal, no matter how bad they went the previous year. I think it is the reason they send silly songs (however I always vote for France too!).
Reply:It'd be quicker and easier to put up a big multi-lingual sign at the start saying





"This is not meant to be taken seriously!"


No comments:

Post a Comment